Like any life science degrees, careers in environmental science are so varied, and has promising scope for graduates in Environmental studies. As a fresher, it is going to be hard decision to choose a career path right for you. Because, you have vast scope for career in environmental science in India
Scope of Environmental studies as a degree:
Well, if you enjoy working in a big infrastructure, following set of standard Ops, willing to work closely with the other department co-workers ensuring health and safety guidelines are followed and executed, this article would rightfully guide you.
So any industry you choose to work with, the above mentioned responsibility remains same for majority of the safety officer job roles for freshers, except for the specialists domain mentioned below:
Specialists areas to choose:
- Environmental protection
- Fire and safety
- Food safety and food standards
- Health within the armed services
- Housing and construction
- Noise control
- Pollution control
- Public health
- Occupational health and safety
- Waste management.
Environmental graduates and Environmental scientists(Ph.D) have scope of working in both government and private industries. I have listed them below
- Oil and Gas
- Refineries and Petrochemicals
- Space Centre
- Pollution control board.
For government sector job opportunities, keep updated with the print newspaper ads and also look in the websites of the relevant industries or research institutes. Look out for the job opportunities with the following key-words in any online job portal and you could also add these keywords in the resume in the knowledge section or project section. It is wise to attend interviews through consultancies than applying for jobs directly to the job vacancies in the company website, because graduates are mostly to be recruited through consultancies.
- Health Environment
- Fire and safety
- Risk Assessment
- Process Safety management
- Site inspection and assessment
- Safety training
- Safety inspections
- Emergency preparedness
- Safety audit and compliance
Job Placement certification:
It is not surprising fact that you will be in tough ride securing a job as fresher. Even if you have a graduate or post-graduate degree in Environmental studies, it is advisable to complete an industrial-oriented diploma course for making your ride easy. Its advised to do enough research (considering which domain and industry you are interested) before enrolling for any following course,
- Certificate course in occupational health & Safety
- Diploma in industrial safety management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Safety Management
- Advanced Diploma in Industrial Safety
- Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Safety, Health & Environment
- Diploma Course in Industrial Department of Personnel Safety Management
- Industrial Safety and Hazards Management
- Short-duration specialised safety training program for working executives
There are many opportunities for career development in both government and private sectors to grow to senior positions. Also, you may have opportunities in larger organisations to pursue doctorate studies which will gain you broader experience and to seek more senior positions.